Bob Mankoff had some good advice to the presidential candidates following last week’s debates. Advice that everyone could take.
Memo to the candidates: Humor can be an effective way to communicate your message.
1. By making it memorable. Funny points are repeated more than unfunny ones.
2. By creating a positive mood in the audience, so that it makes them less likely to disagree with you.
3. By making you more likeable.
4. By making your opponent less so.
5. By making it more difficult for the audience to conjure counterarguments to your answers, because humor is distracting.
6. By directing some humor back at yourself, to make you even more likeable and preëmpt your opponent.