The US isn’t the only country to celebrate the 4th of July. In Britain, Portugal, and Sweden, American military bases host celebrations that are supported by local businesses as a way to boost tourism. And for reasons that I can’t understand (perhaps any excuse for a party?), America’s independence is also celebrated in Denmark, Norway, Ireland, China (Shanghai), and Australia (Sydney).
According to the Becker Friedman Institute for Economics, one-third of jobs in the US can be done at home.
The Economics of Rental Real Estate
Here are some facts about the investment real estate market that you might find interesting:
* Rent payments have remained steady, according to the National Multifamily Housing Council in a study of 11.5 million apartments.
* Home sales are expected to drop considerably during the remainder of 2020, and are not expected to pick up until the second quarter of 2021. This coincides with projections about the unemployment rate.
* Commercial real estate prices are projected to fall by 7%.
* Total returns from unleveraged core real estate are expected to fall to -5% this year, but are also expected to rise to 3.1% in 2021 and then to 6.7% in 2022.
* The industrial sector is expected to lead in rent growth between 2020 and 2022, averaging 2.2% per year.
* Apartment growth is expected to fall by 2% in 2020, but see a positive trend (of 1%) through 2022.
* Hotels are expected to be hit hardest, with the average occupancy rate falling to 40% this year.
Paul McCartney was recorded munching on celery on the taping of the Beach Boys’ song “Vegetables.”
CoBrA was an avant-garde art movement (1948-1951) characterized by spontaneity, experimentation, and primitive images. The name was derived from the cities the CoBrA artists came from: Copenhagen (Co), Brussels (Br), and Amsterdam (A).]
“A study on infectivity of asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 carriers” is one of several recently published studies which found that people that have COVID-19 but are asymptomatic are significantly less likely to transmit it than people that have symptoms. To read it, click here.
Juneteenth is the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States. Dating back to 1865, it was on June 19 that the Union soldiers, led by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, TX, with news that the war had ended and that the enslaved were now free. Note that this was two and a half years after President Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation – which had become official January 1, 1863. The Emancipation Proclamation had little impact on the Texans due to the minimal number of Union troops to enforce the new Executive Order. However, with the surrender of General Lee in April of 1865, and the arrival of General Granger’s regiment, the forces were finally strong enough to influence and overcome the resistance.
A Venn diagram uses circles to visually represent the relationships between things or concepts. Here are two interesting videos about them:
One on how they work…
… and one on how to use a Venn diagram to choose your career.
Tug of War was an Olympic sport from 1900 to 1920.
Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike each year than all the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.